Topics

What's on Your Bookshelf? (Automata related only please.)

Mike

Another topic here, Automata Magazine Issue 1/6-Nov/Dec 2019, was getting quite a bit of chatter regarding automata books. For reference purposes I typically like discussions to stay on topic as specific information is easier to find at a later date. I looked for a thread/topic on automata books and did not find one, so this topic was created.

I have several books on automata, each loved in it's on way. Over the next several days I'll try to post reviews on these books. It would be quite enjoyable and beneficial, if others would join me in this endeavor.

My automata books currently include:
Automata - The Golden Age 1848 - 1914, by Christian Baily. (One of my most cherished books)
Cabaret Mechanical Movements, by Gary Alexander & Aidan Lawrence Onn
Big Book of Gizmos & Gadgets, by Bob Gilsdorf, David Wakefied and Dug North
Automata and Mechanical Toys, by Rodney Peppé
Making Mad Toys and Mechanical Marvels in Wood, by Rodney Frost  (Whacky Toys, Whriligigs & Whatchamacallits - was much the same book.)

--
Geppetto must be in my family tree, as I too like to bring wood to life.
My Website

V Bass

Hi, Mike,

Marc and I have been doing this, two at a time, in Automata Magazine. May I suggest that you consider writing up your reviews and sending them to Marc for publication? I'm about out of my favorites. That way, the whole readership of the magazine could benefit from them.

The ones I've reviewed so far are Hillier, "Automata and Mechanical Toys - An Illustrated History"; "Cabaret Mechanical Movement"; Fuller/Meeus "Simple Wooden Toys"; Peppe, "Automata and Mechanical Toys"; Levy, "Making Mechanical Marvels in Wood". I see several in your list that haven't been reviewed yet. Thanks for sharing the titles!

Vance Bass

On 11/7/2019 4:56 PM, Mike wrote:

[...]

Hello Vance,

That's an excellent suggestion, I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Geppetto must be in my family tree, as I too like to bring wood to life.
My Website

Automata Magazine

Hi Mike. Please drop me a note at my email address (automatamag@...) and we can discuss this. Thanks. I look forward to hearing from you.  --Marc

Automata Magazine

On my shelf I have 21 books specifically about automata or that include automata projects (I include whirligigs in this category -- three books), plus 10 more related books that might be either historical (old toys, etc) or mechanical in nature. I'll be happy to send a complete list to anyone who would like it. Just email me: automatamag@...

Automata Magazine

Also, I have an extra copy of From the Golden Age of Automata: The Private Collection of Christian Bailly, if anyone is interested.