I've been slowly working through things to get The Electric Chair completed. It's slow...and it's hard to show the progress in such a manner that I think is interesting. That said...to not show progress is probably less interesting...so here goes.
This image shows the completed campak. This campak includes six cams and a pulley. I can easily remove the intact campak from the machine in less than a minute. The cams have been cut based on time. I have a storyboard that includes timing...and I cut the cams per the storyboard. The sixth cam includes a small ramp that operates a microswitch that is used to tell the electrics package when one complete automata sequence has been completed. The cams are cut from 3/16" Baltic Birch plywood and are followed by 1/2" diameter ball bearings.
This image shows the bell. This little bell has been a real bugger to get right. You are looking at about the 4th design...and the third type of bell. The function of this bell is to simulate a telephone ringing near the end of the automata sequence. I hate to admit that I've spent about a week on this little detail. The good news is that I now have more dinging experience under my belt...so that the next time I work with bells it will be less like bell hell.
At the present time, I am working on the electrics portion of this automata. The electrics package will include the motor, main power cord, a 3 amp circuit breaker, a DPDT toggle, a momentary push button, and connectors. When completed the electrics package will be easily installed as one unit into the automata. The package will include everything except one microswitch which is located at the other end of the automata. When doing the wiring I'm trying to be careful to do a good job...and to create in such a manner that it will be hard to get into accidental contact with any of the electric voltage. This automata will have three modes of operation: 1) Hand crank. 2) Push the red button and one automata cycle will perform under electric power. 3) Continuous operation under electric power.
I began creating this automata at the end of October 2019. It's been going slower than I would like...but that's the nature of the beast. When I am done with this phase I will have created a "machine". The next step in the process will be to disassemble everything. Paint. Reassemble. Add other detail. In the end, it will not be a machine...it will be a short story.
I enjoy this "What's on your workbench" section of the forum and encourage all of you that are creating automata to show what is going on. We have a lot that we can learn from each other...and much to share with those that are not creating automata.
Jim in San Diego