Topics

What's on my bench - timing belt synchronization with 3D printing

Randy

I've been working on a design that needs four objects to rotate synchronously. I wanted to use a 2GT timing belt as a alternative to gears. Gears would cause a change in rotating direction, so I would need pairs of gears to resolve this. Also, they are noisy.
The design of the gear that drives the belt is critical. I had designed itr in Fusion 360 and then used it to drive three belts. Over time, a belt would slip a tooth and synchronism was lost. I was beginning to wonder if this was even going to be possible without metal gears. I recently came across a parametric design for 2GT implemented in Fusion 360 and now have finally got it to work.

-Randy

Hi Randy...
Thanks for the video.  Nice smooth action.  And clever the way you use the three belts.  I would have tried to do it with one belt and then idlers to keep the belts tight.  Your solution is much better...my method would have failed.  Thanks for sharing.