Topics

What's On My Bench - The head of Medusa

Randy

I've been working on a vertical motion for several weeks. I thought it would be easier but Murphy has touched every aspect of the design. Medusa is supposed to rise and then her eyes will glow. The 3D printed mechanism has been running for a day now so hopefully it's finally robust. Click to view it.

Mike

Randy, that is spectacular, eye popping and simply amazing. I will be watching the progress on this one for sure!
--
Looking forward to hearing about your automata adventures!

Mike

Wooden Curiosities

Hi Randy...
This is sweet!  I like the mechanism.  What is on the bench...Arduino...Raspberry?
Did you create the head software?  Or is there a library of that kind of stuff?
My understanding is that all of that is 3D printed.  Very nice.

On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 at 15:16, Randy <rglissmann@...> wrote:
I've been working on a vertical motion for several weeks. I thought it would be easier but Murphy has touched every aspect of the design. Medusa is supposed to rise and then her eyes will glow. The 3D printed mechanism has been running for a day now so hopefully it's finally robust. Click to view it.

veeracer@...

So cool !
Keep us posted with the progress.

BillB

Randy

I use an ESP32 microprocessor with the Arduino software development environment. There are libraries available for stepper motors, servos and addressable LEDs. The ESP32 connects to my WIFI so I can update code without having to have a USB cable to my project. I'm thinking of hanging my mechanism on the wall since it operates autonomously and because only the front is interesting. It incorporates a small PIR detector so it only operates when there is someone in the room.

I print using standard PLA plastic. I've tried a wood impregnated version but felt that it was too brittle. I typically airbrush over white PLA rather than owning an extensive collection of different filament colors. I recently tried a granite-colored version that I'm pleased with.