Topics

What's On My Bench - The head of Augustus

Randy

A dozen or so famous Greek busts have been made available for reproduction using a 3D printer. This link discusses what is available and how they became available. I thought it would be interesting to embed a LED inside the head so to have glowing eyes. I imported the head's STL file into Fusion 360 and created a hollow space inside the head for a LED. I printed the modified STL file up to the eyes, then paused the printer and inserted the LED. Finally, I resumed the printing of the head. Here are photos of my low resolution test prints.

Hi Randy...
This is interesting.  I suppose that there are many non-intuitive little tricks and hacks to 3D printing that a non-user (such as myself) would never think of.
Thanks for sharing.  It's appreciated.

On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 at 18:06, Randy <rglissmann@...> wrote:
A dozen or so famous Greek busts have been made available for reproduction using a 3D printer. This link discusses what is available and how they became available. I thought it would be interesting to embed a LED inside the head so to have glowing eyes. I imported the head's STL file into Fusion 360 and created a hollow space inside the head for a LED. I printed the modified STL file up to the eyes, then paused the printer and inserted the LED. Finally, I resumed the printing of the head. Here are photos of my low resolution test prints.

Randy

Hi Jim,

There are a few tricks that are learned with experience. But there is trial and error too. Rapid prototyping is one of the key advantages of 3D printing.
It's fun.

-Randy

Mario Núñez

Very cool.

Mario

Mike

It reminds me a bit of Superman's heat vision. :)  I am looking forward to seeing this incorporated into an automata.
--
Looking forward to hearing about your automata adventures!

Mike

Wooden Curiosities