Topics

What's on my bench - Talking Skull

Randy

I'm making a talking skull using my 3D printer. I'm designing it with Fusion 360 and have attached renderings of the front and rear views. It mounts vertically on a wall with an USB cord attached to the bottom of it. My first design had a hinged jaw but I was disappointed with its movement. Currently the jaw moves up and down similar to the Monty Python cartoons. The skull will contain a speaker, LEDs, and the electronics. The jaw will move in sync with sounds recorded on a micro SD card. I found a bunch of Three Stooges sounds to use. I'm lucky I'm retired because this is taking a lot of time.

-Randy

Hi Randy...
Fun!
How will you get the jaw to move in sync with the sounds?  That seems like a challenge.  I wouldn't know how to even begin doing that.
Nice work.
-Jim Coffee-

On Tue, 10 Nov 2020 at 08:39, Randy <rglissmann@...> wrote:
I'm making a talking skull using my 3D printer. I'm designing it with Fusion 360 and have attached renderings of the front and rear views. It mounts vertically on a wall with an USB cord attached to the bottom of it. My first design had a hinged jaw but I was disappointed with its movement. Currently the jaw moves up and down similar to the Monty Python cartoons. The skull will contain a speaker, LEDs, and the electronics. The jaw will move in sync with sounds recorded on a micro SD card. I found a bunch of Three Stooges sounds to use. I'm lucky I'm retired because this is taking a lot of time.

-Randy

Brian Smith

Hi Randy

I just bought a 3d printer, and am learning the basics.  Where did you find the code for the skull?  I would love to build a talking skull.

regards
Brian

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 11:39 AM Randy <rglissmann@...> wrote:
I'm making a talking skull using my 3D printer. I'm designing it with Fusion 360 and have attached renderings of the front and rear views. It mounts vertically on a wall with an USB cord attached to the bottom of it. My first design had a hinged jaw but I was disappointed with its movement. Currently the jaw moves up and down similar to the Monty Python cartoons. The skull will contain a speaker, LEDs, and the electronics. The jaw will move in sync with sounds recorded on a micro SD card. I found a bunch of Three Stooges sounds to use. I'm lucky I'm retired because this is taking a lot of time.

-Randy

Attachments:

Randy

Hi Brian,

I will be developing the code myself. I'm showing the electronics I will need to cram into the skull. Sounds will be stored as MP3 files on the micro SD card. The PIR sensor will detect if someone is in the room and will initiate activity. Sounds (speech or other) will be typically around 3 seconds in duration. As the sound starts, a companion file specific to that sound will define a sequence of servo movements and light patterns using the LEDs. The size of the skull mouth opening is determined by the angle driven by the servo.

I'm finishing up another automata project first so I may not have much status on this project for the next several months.

-Randy

Brian Smith

Hi Randy
Thanks for the reply, I guess I should have been a bit more specific, I meant the gcode...which I now know needs to be generated from the STL code.
Hence I was wondering if you found the STL code for the skull online?

Thanks again
regards
Brian

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 10:51 PM Randy <rglissmann@...> wrote:
Hi Brian,

I will be developing the code myself. I'm showing the electronics I will need to cram into the skull. Sounds will be stored as MP3 files on the micro SD card. The PIR sensor will detect if someone is in the room and will initiate activity. Sounds (speech or other) will be typically around 3 seconds in duration. As the sound starts, a companion file specific to that sound will define a sequence of servo movements and light patterns using the LEDs. The size of the skull mouth opening is determined by the angle driven by the servo.

I'm finishing up another automata project first so I may not have much status on this project for the next several months.

-Randy

Randy

I believe I got it from thingiverse

-Randy