Topics

What's On My Bench - Kinetic Sculpture

Randy

This is my first posting. I'm working on a kinetic sculpture for wall mounting that incorporates timing belts and stepper motors to rotate U shapes. The belts cause the shapes move synchronously in each column and a microprocessor controls the rotation angle, rate, and direction of each column. I plan to have different patterns of movement to replicate the undulations of water ripples or the wind blowing a wheat field. I've completely moved from wood to using a 3D printer for my creations. I'm easily distracted into making other things but now I have a deadline for submitting this sculpture in a local art show.

Mike

Hello Randy and welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy your time here and I look forward to interacting with you. You have alot of interesting gadgets in the background. :)

That is an impressive automata you are building and a very interesting combinations of technology.  What software do you use to model the 3D files that you print?
--
Looking forward to hearing more about your automata adventures!

Mike

Wooden Curiosities

Randy

I use Fusion 360 to design and create STL files and then Cura to slice the object into layers that the 3D printer uses. I'm totally amazed at what can be done using Fusion and it's free for hobbyists.

Mike

Randy,

You "may" appreciate this, in regards to fluid motion mechanisms:
http://www.francoisjunod.com/2015/12/14/automates-tapis-volant/

At times, the 3D modeling process boggles my mind. I am grateful for those who can think in that dimension.
--
Looking forward to hearing about your automata adventures!

Mike

Wooden Curiosities

Nice video...I especially like the close-ups of the innards.  I love all the metal.
Thanks for sharing.
-Jim-

On Tue, 19 Nov 2019 at 17:25, Mike <smc5910@...> wrote:
Randy,

You "may" appreciate this, in regards to fluid motion mechanisms:
http://www.francoisjunod.com/2015/12/14/automates-tapis-volant/

At times, the 3D modeling process boggles my mind. I am grateful for those who can think in that dimension.
--
Looking forward to hearing about your automata adventures!

Mike

Wooden Curiosities

Hi Randy...and everyone:
I find this additive printing very fascinating.  I don't do it myself (yet) but am really enjoying and appreciating how additive printing is emerging into our society.  This is a brand new tool that our species is learning how to use.  Just off the top of my head I've seen plastic (of course), skin, food, metal including titanium, concrete...and I'm sure that there are many more things.  It will be interesting to watch how additive printing enters the field of automata.
Thanks for showing us what's on your bench, Randy
creating automata near San Diego, California
one of the group moderators
JamesCoffee.com