Topics

What's On My Bench - Colorado Christmas

Mike

As Jim suggested it will be easier to follow the progress of projects if we post a separate topic for each of them.

The last few days have been bitter sweet for me. Saturday, my CNC went bonkers on a simple cut that has been done several times in the past and drilled through the wood and into the table bed.I don't trust the beast very much and was thankfully was able to hit the emergency stop before more damage was done. I power cycled the machine and loaded a different file that is also used quite often, this time just the opposite happened as it attempted to push the router through the roof. <sigh> Needless to say they don't make things like they used to. I shipped the controller to the MFG, hopefully it isn't too expensive to repair.

On a brighter note, I was able to obtain a scroll saw on Sunday, which I have wanted for some time.

Through all of that, a wedding and revamping the website, I was able to make progress on what I am now calling "Colorado Christmas." (My grandsons live in that beautiful state). Pictures follow below.

Painted Reindeer

With Santa

Cams - Made them heavy to behave as quasi flywheels and hopefully last longer. Coated the interior with bee's wax.

New scroll saw

--
Tag, your it!
Mike

My Website

Mike

I forgot to update my website in the signature - "If" you want to check it out it is now called Wooden Curiosities
--
 I look forward to hearing about your automata adventures!

Mike

Wooden Curiosities

Mario Núñez

Very nice.  I look forward to watching this one at work.

Mario

Hi Mike...
How are you doing with this?  Meeting your Christmas deadline?
Always lots to do this time of year.
creating automata near San Diego, California
one of the group moderators
JamesCoffee.com

Mike

I'm a bit behind schedule due to procrastination and equipment issues, but plan to finish the mechanisms in the next couple of days.
--
Looking forward to hearing about your automata adventures!

Mike

Wooden Curiosities

Mike

Edited

I made quite a bit of progress over the last two days.

Front view of the entire automata. Santa and the reindeer move in a wave motion, the trees in the back ground spin in opposite directions and the snowmen below move up and down as well. The bottom of the enclosure isn't attached yet.

Here is a closer look at the mechanics.

 View of the mechanics from the back. The smaller gears will be used to drive a music box assembly, which is not in place yet.

Here is the side with the crank, which will be dressed up a bit more.
dd

I still plan on adding a backdrop, but it's about complete. Once everything is in place I'll create a short video.

Comments and suggestions always welcome!

--
Looking forward to hearing about your automata adventures!

Mike

Wooden Curiosities

Hi Mike...
Thanks for sharing these images.  This automata looks great...very festive.
Lots of things going on.  I like the little snowmen on their surfboards...I like the candy cane  spinner that is near the crank handle...I like the entire top section.  Your drive section is very neat and tidy and functional (of course). You've done yourself proud  I look forward to seeing your video.
Good job.
-Jim Coffee-

On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 at 14:41, Mike <smc5910@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

Gus

Hi Mike,

Very festive scene, just right for this time of the year ! Nice work, and colours. Some observations;
The shot of the cams shows a captive cam arrangement, with a follower top and bottom. These are different in the final photo, were they not successful ? If not, what was the problem with it ?
Will it be driven by a motor ?
The cam arrangement could be simpler by doing the follower as the "capturing" device, so that a single cam per figure is needed. (That is, if you seek simplicity )
Were you particularly wanting to use bevel gears to drive the trees ?
Are the gears printed, as are the reindeers and sleigh, and do you intend to do as much as possible with future projects using this technology ?

No doubt you are busy with the festivities planning etc, but looking forward to seeing everything move.

Regards,

Glad you like it Jim!
Gus,

The cams worked smoother without the bottom portion attached, as they would occasionally bind. Once removed I found no reason to keep them. (good eye. :) )

It will be driven by a hand crank.

The bevel gears seemed to produce the desired effect, what other type of mechanism could be utilized here? (I'm always interested in learning different ways to do something.)

The gears are from Cranky Crab, but I will be able to cut something similar when my CNC is back online. I enjoy using mixed media, but have more experience in wood working.
--
Looking forward to hearing about your automata adventures!

Mike

Wooden Curiosities

Mario Núñez

Great work!

Mario

Gus

Hi Mike,

Attached a couple of drawings, one showing an alternative to using gears to rotate, and another way of constructing a follower linked to a cam.

Regards,

Thanks Gus, the drawing was worth a thousand words. :)
--
Looking forward to hearing about your automata adventures!

Mike

Wooden Curiosities

Mike

Here's a video of the automata in action:
Santa Claus is Coming to Town
--
Hope you enjoy it and have a very merry Christmas. :)

Mike

Wooden Curiosities

Gus

Hi Mike,

Very nice job ! Lots of movement, fun thing to see, you must be very happy with how it turned out.

Regards,
Gus

Hi Mike...
Delightful.  Many good things here.  A couple of my impressions:
  • The white background is perfect.  Not overstated...but certainly there.
  • The Santa and reindeer paint job is really good.  You look at them and don't even think about the finish.  You just see Santa and a sleigh and reindeer.
  • I like your drive unit.  I find the cams and wooden gears fascinating to watch.
  • The thing that I like the most about this automata are the little snowmen.  You did not need to put anything down there...but you put snowmen. Perfect!
Thanks for sharing the video.
Happy Holidays
-Jim Coffee-

On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 at 12:37, Mike <smc5910@...> wrote:
Here's a video of the automata in action:
Santa Claus is Coming to Town
--
Hope you enjoy it and have a very merry Christmas. :)

Mike

Wooden Curiosities

I forgot to mention the music box...another nice and appropriate detail.
creating automata near San Diego, California
one of the group moderators
JamesCoffee.com

Mike

The "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" automata was quite popular. I got orders for four more. :)

It's good for the ego but bad for creativity. I find it hard to replicate pieces as it doesn't hold my interest as well.
--
Looking forward to hearing about your automata adventures!

Mike

Wooden Curiosities

Gus

Nice Mike,

One way to finance some new toys ........

Gus