Topics

What's On My Bench: Connecting the links

 

I'm in the process of connecting the cams to the parts of the automata that need motion.
I've been using  polyurethane belting for about four years now.  I've been using it only to "drive" things.   I source it from McMaster-Carr.  As a result of using it I've become more familiar with it.  It's flexible, tough, a tiny bit elastic  (negligible in short lengths).  One of the things that I've noticed is that I've never had a joint fail.  The tubing is cut, and then joined with a little aluminum fitting that has ridges on it.  I've never had one come apart.
So as I was creating linkages between cams and parts of the automata that I'm working on I realized that I could use this tubing as links.  A #4 screw screws into the hollow core of the tubing...and essentially won't come out.  I've got it in two colors...yellow (which I am using inside the drive frame), and clear (which I am using outside the drive frame).
I've attached a couple of images to show you how it works.  So far I'm pleased with how this is going.
I look forward to seeing what on your workbench.
Cheers
-Jim Coffee-
one of the Automata Group Moderators
I create automata near San Diego, California

IMG_20200108_195745-1000.jpg
IMG_20200108_195803-1000.jpg