Topics

What on my bench: The Electrics Module

The Electric Chair automata that I am (still) building has two major components: 1) The top part...the automata proper.  2) The Drive Frame...the automata sits on top of the drive frame.
The Drive Frame is complicated so I've modularized two components so that they can easily be removed: 1) The CamPak is easy to take out and replace.  2) The Electrics Module...which contains all of the electrical portions of the automata (including the motor) with the exception of one limit switch.
The two images show  1) the completed module as it sits on my workbench and 2) the module installed in the drive frame of the automata.

IMG_20200227_095241-1000.jpg
IMG_20200227_103851-1000.jpg
The drive frame has not been painted yet.  The entire drive frame will be painted using a camo palette of four colors.
I've appreciated being able to create this electrics module as a stand-alone unit.  It's been easier to make.  Installation into the drive frame is easy...it hangs from two stainless steel axles.
Now that I've been able to run the automata under power it's been easier to monitor and to troubleshoot.  I've got a bit more tweaking to do...then I'll be disassembling for paint.

I would enjoy seeing what's on your workbench.

Regards from San Diego.
-Jim Coffee-

veeracer@...

What is the frame of the drive frame made out of?

Hi there...
The vertical leg is made of Poplar.  The drive frame lattice is made from 1/4" Baltic Birch plywood (run through a scroll saw).  And the motor chassis is made primarily from 1/8" and 3/16" Baltic Birch plywood.

On Mon, 2 Mar 2020 at 11:58, <veeracer@...> wrote:
What is the frame of the drive frame made out of?

veeracer@...

I would have never guess that was wood.
What kind of finish do you have on it? It looks more like PVC or plastic.

BillB

Baltic Birch plywood is nice to work with.  I keep on hand 1/64, 1/32, 1/16, 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2.
The wood that you are looking at has only been sanded...as fine as 220 grit.
Before this project is completed the wood will be rattle can spray primed twice (Rustoleum Automotive Primer) and then rattle can sprayed one of four camo colors.  I sand (220) and toothbrush between each coat.
When completed it is not possible to tell what the material is...but many folks think that it is metal.
I do use "naked" wood sometimes.  For example, I have a bit of Pistachio going in.  All I'm doing is waxing it.  It's a beautiful rich and warm color.
One day I may make an automata completely from unpainted wood.  Most likely finished with wipe on poly.  It's difficult to build this way because everything must be perfect.