Topics

Tools of the trade.

BANOFALK

Hello everyone.

I thought I would add a comment about what I consider as essential tools.

Not many people will have come across broaches, but I could not do without them. They allow you gradually enlarge holes to get either a tight, snug or loose fit on rods or axles. Buy the way, when I want to drill accurate holes I avoid using twist drill bits; they can wander. Using brad point drills works better. I also progress the larger holes, that is start smaller with a brad drill and enlarge them with twist drills.

Steel files. I generally used drawing templates, and cut close to the line but finish off with ordinary steel files. I is laborious but I am patient!

Finally... pencils. If you want accuracy, you need a sharp pencil for marking out. I have a many pencil sharpeners – all useless. I use a scalpel blade to achieve a fine point. Sand paper is an alternative but messy.

Barry

Good morning Barry...
Good tips.  Thanks for posting.
Regarding broaches...I've known what they are but have never considered owning them.  Because of your comment I just did an eBay search on broaches (auction only) and had a fun journey.  I'll now keep my eye open for broaches to add to my collection.
Have a good weekend.
-Jim-