Topics

Should this forum remain active?

Good evening...
I approached Marc about 1-1/2 years ago and suggested this forum.  After discussion, the forum was put in place and it became active in August 2019.
While I continue to think that this forum is a good idea the reality would suggest that it is of marginal value and should be turned off.  I'm tentatively ready to close this forum on December 31, 2020.  I would like to thank those of you that have posted/contributed!
Please consider this email an opportunity to make your thoughts known regarding the value of this forum to the automata community.

Jimmy Gray

It is up to you but since the magazine is now going to continue I disagree about the forum being marginal. I find it very usefull as one who is fairly new to kinetic art and automata. So what I am saying is I would like to see the forum and still find the information valuable and usefull. It saves a lot of time and trouble to having to search on youtube and the internet and is something I look forward to. These are my thoughts. But the choice is still yours.
By the way I like your work!
Oh, yeah I did live in Escondido at one time myself about 40 years ago.
Jimmy Gray

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 7:29:07 PM PST, Jim Coffee <jim@...> wrote:

Good evening...
I approached Marc about 1-1/2 years ago and suggested this forum.  After discussion, the forum was put in place and it became active in August 2019.
While I continue to think that this forum is a good idea the reality would suggest that it is of marginal value and should be turned off.  I'm tentatively ready to close this forum on December 31, 2020.  I would like to thank those of you that have posted/contributed!
Please consider this email an opportunity to make your thoughts known regarding the value of this forum to the automata community.

BiLL B

With the number of other distractions I have. I find that I simply read the email that I get when someone posts and dont follow up and go to the site.
But I do find myself on FaceBook, often participating in several wood carving and general "making" groups. Maybe a private FB group would be a better option as I do enjoy seeing peoples works in progress as well as interacting with those with more talent than myself.

Just a thought.

BillB

On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 10:29 PM Jim Coffee <jim@...> wrote:
Good evening...
I approached Marc about 1-1/2 years ago and suggested this forum.  After discussion, the forum was put in place and it became active in August 2019.
While I continue to think that this forum is a good idea the reality would suggest that it is of marginal value and should be turned off.  I'm tentatively ready to close this forum on December 31, 2020.  I would like to thank those of you that have posted/contributed!
Please consider this email an opportunity to make your thoughts known regarding the value of this forum to the automata community.

Ron K

Would miss it it it went, but I understand "someone" has to manage it. I avoid FB like the plague, in part because of their data mining, and in part because I don't care for the format as a means of communication.

Ron

Myron Tupa

Thank you Jim for the head’s up.

I like the idea of the forum being here.  Am I to understand that the forum is what we receive in our emails and not a separate site?

Facebook is out for me for the reasons Ron mentioned and the fact that I may be sucked into spending too much time at the screen “looking around”!  I get the print version of the magazine which I can study at my leisure.

As long as I have your attention I want to recommend a wonderful exhibit of automata at the Pucker Gallery, 240 Newbury St. Boston, MA..  Pat Keck, look her up, has a show called; HIDE ’N SEEK, from November 21 to January 10.  Most but not all of her pieces are automata. She’s a VERY accomplished printmaker as well.

I plan to write an article about the automata that I have attached to this correspondence.  I had mentioned this to Marc a while ago but an apartment rehab got in the way of my devoting the time to something totally new to me.

Like my wife says: Breathe deeply and laugh often!

Myron

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ek356w8ikyi6wv/IsabelSpinner.mov?dl=0

On Nov 4, 2020, at 10:28 PM, Jim Coffee <jim@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim Larson

I strongly agree with Ron. Love the forum and would really miss it! Rut FB is a loser for me for the same reasons.

          -jim

On 11/5/2020 12:00 PM, Ron K via groups.io wrote:
Would miss it it it went, but I understand "someone" has to manage it. I avoid FB like the plague, in part because of their data mining, and in part because I don't care for the format as a means of communication.

Ron

Brian

I just found the forum and would like to see it continue. I like what I have seen here. It is way better than Facebook.

I would like to thank everyone that has responded to this question...and I would like to thank everyone who has participated in the forum.
Based on past participation and on your comments I've decided to keep this forum in service.  I will ask Marc to run a little advert for the forum in each issue of Automata Magazine.  And I ask all of you to feel free to participate here.  Ask questions, share experiences.  Our goal is to share and strengthen the world of automata.
Thanks again, everyone.
Creating automata near San Diego, California

On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 at 19:28, Jim Coffee <jim@...> wrote:
Good evening...
I approached Marc about 1-1/2 years ago and suggested this forum.  After discussion, the forum was put in place and it became active in August 2019.
While I continue to think that this forum is a good idea the reality would suggest that it is of marginal value and should be turned off.  I'm tentatively ready to close this forum on December 31, 2020.  I would like to thank those of you that have posted/contributed!
Please consider this email an opportunity to make your thoughts known regarding the value of this forum to the automata community.

Sharon Fraser

Hello Jim,

I want you to know how much I have enjoyed the forum. I appreciate all the effort you have put in. Although I am not an active poster I am a happy reader! I would miss the inspiration it provides.

I have been fascinated by automata for years. I have built many paper and wood kits but have never attempted one of my own design. The learning curve seems steep.
Having said that I enjoy reading about the challenges, progress, and ultimate success of the real life “makers” like you. You are always so generous with your encouragement and assistance.

I would like to add my voice to that of many others who hope that the Forum will continue. Like many others I use Facebook as little as possible. I think the forum is a better method of communication for the group.

I am a member of the small group that has come together to keep Automata Magazine alive. Going forward I will be promoting the Magazine through social media. I would love to be able to promote this forum as well Jim. If there is some way that I can help with the work of running the forum I am willing to help with that as well.

With thanks and warm regards,
Sharon

Hi Sharon...good to meet you...and thanks for your post.
Among other things you said "I am a member of the small group that has come together to keep Automata Magazine alive. Going forward I will be promoting the Magazine through social media. I would love to be able to promote this forum as well Jim. If there is some way that I can help with the work of running the forum I am willing to help with that as well.".
A couple of thoughts:
  • Thanks to the group that has formed and stepped up to assist Marc.  We would like to know more about you.  I'm guessing that you will be introducing yourselves in the Jan-Feb issue...but if you would care to tell us more now...we are listening.
  • Regarding promoting this forum.  I don't consider this forum to be mine...I consider it to be the property of Automata Magazine.  I'm just the guy that set it up and am one of the moderators.  Marc is the other moderator and another owner.  Any promotion you do would be wonderful.  The stronger the magazine and this forum are the better!  I am in awe that you will be doing the promotion through social media.  I find myself staying far away from things like Facebook.  Good for you for forging ahead and entering the social media swamps! (An automata could be created based on that thought (social media swamps).
  • Thank you for your offer of help.  I'll put your name at the top of the list and will call on you at some point in the future.
Take care...stay healthy.

On Tue, 10 Nov 2020 at 07:18, Sharon Fraser <sharon.fraser@...> wrote:
[...]

Lee

HI

I too like this forum and I am happy to hear it will stay. I am a complete novice at automata and so I'm soaking up the information in the magazine and follow with interest the threads on the forum. I also follow the 'Automata / Automaton Group' on Facebook, which is a much more active site than this. But maybe the value is in the depth and quality of discussion rather than the quantity. So for me a little test - I think I will post my first Automata to the 'what's on your bench' here and also on FB. Looking forward to some constructive advice :-)

Lee

Good morning Lee...
I'm finding people either ambivalent or against Facebook.  Rarely do I hear someone gush Facebook praises.  Personally, I had a Facebook account for years and found it too noisy so turned it off.  My life has been quieter and better since.
It will be interesting to see how your experiment does.  If the Facebook account gives you better results would you please post that information here, so that we can know?  My bottom line would be that "whatever is best for the world of automata...is best".  If Facebook is better, people should know so that they can make informed decisions regarding how to spend their automata time and energy.
Thanks for your post.

On Sat, 14 Nov 2020 at 02:43, Lee via groups.io <Helloleeturner=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
HI

I too like this forum and I am happy to hear it will stay. I am a complete novice at automata and so I'm soaking up the information in the magazine and follow with interest the threads on the forum. I also follow the 'Automata / Automaton Group' on Facebook, which is a much more active site than this. But maybe the value is in the depth and quality of discussion rather than the quantity. So for me a little test - I think I will post my first Automata to the 'what's on your bench' here and also on FB. Looking forward to some constructive advice :-)

Lee

Lee...one more thing...
If you find this forum to have value you might consider making a comment or two about it in the Facebook group.  Spread the joy!  Here is the link to the forum Home page.
Thanks
-Jim-

On Sat, 14 Nov 2020 at 07:49, Jim Coffee <jim@...> wrote:
[...]

Mario Núñez

I haven't been active in a while, for various reasons, but I wanted to add my voice to people who have commented on the value of this forum.  Jim, you do good work, both in your shop and on the group.  I hope it keeps going.

Mario

Lee

The results are in from my not very scientific experiment. This forum generated about 40 views on YouTube and 5 comments on the forum. Facebook Automata group had about 130 views and 7 comments. The only take out is the FB group is larger but this group more likely to engage. I like them both so will still be lurking and occasionally contributing here.

Lee

Brian Smith

I concur
Hopefully it becomes a resource of how to... so little out there

Brian

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 9:09 AM Mario Núñez via groups.io <nunezm=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
I haven't been active in a while, for various reasons, but I wanted to add my voice to people who have commented on the value of this forum.  Jim, you do good work, both in your shop and on the group.  I hope it keeps going.

Mario

Good evening Lee...
Please feel free to promote the Facebook forum here...and of course this forum on Facebook.  All efforts to strengthen the automata community are energy well spent.  Thanks for your report.  It's nice to get feedback.