Topics

Searching eBay for Automata

I have an automatic search being performed at eBay on the term "automata".  Rarely does it return anything related to my definition of automata.  In the July/August issue of Automata Magazine there were several book reviews.  One of the books I've subsequently ordered (Making Mechanical Marvels in Wood).  The other book, and the reason for this post, is out of my price range...though it sounds very interesting. When searching eBay for Baranger: Window Displays in Motion up popped some very interesting little devices that could easily fall under the definition of automata.  Or in other words...I got more automata hits than when searching for automata.

Do you have effective automata search terms that you use on eBay?  If so, please consider sharing them (here) with us.

a moderator
San Diego, California

Automata Magazine

Have you tried searching the British eBay? https://www.ebay.co.uk/ Sometimes there is different (better) stuff there, I've heard.

What an interesting answer!  I had never considered 'another eBay'.  So I've taken a journey and learned a couple of things:
  1. eBay has 23 International sites (though I will list only 21)
  2. Adding 'vintage' or 'antique' to the word 'automata' brings clearer results.
  3. Here is the website that I used as my eBay info source.  It contains other narrative.
  4. A high number of 'results' does not necessarily mean 'quality' results.
  5. As I do this exercise I am reminded that our sandbox is a very small one.
  6. Many times I needed to reenter the URL because I would be redirected to the .com website.
Here are some results of my online journey:
  1. eBay USA
    1. Antique Automata: 227 results
    2. Vintage Automata: 37 results
  2. eBay Australia
    1. Antique Automata: 192 results
    2. Vintage Automata: 8 results
  3. eBAy Austria (non English so translated)
    1. Antique Automata: 4 results
    2. Vintage Automata: 2 results
  4. eBay Belgium (non English so translated from French)
    1. Antique Automata: 10 results
    2. Vintage Automata: 6 results
  5. eBay Canada
    1.  Antique Automata: 224 results
    2. Vintage Automata: 35 results
  6. eBay China
    1. Antique Automata: 0 results
    2. Vintage Automata:  0 results
      Note: I don't think can handle English queries
  7. eBay France (non English so translated)
    1. Antique Automata: 4 results
    2. Vintage Automata: 6 results
  8. eBay Germany (non English so translated)
    1. Antique Automata: 2,537 results
    2. Vintage Automata: 84,712 results
  9. eBy Ireland
    1. Antique Automata:202 results
    2. Vintage Automata: 7 results
  10. eBay Italy (non English so translated)
    1. Antique Automata: 2 results
    2. Vintage Automata: 6 results
  11. eBay Hong Kong
    1. Antique Automata: 11 results
    2. Vintage Automata: 9 results
  12. eBay Malaysia
    1. Antique Automata: 2 results
    2. Vintage Automata: 1,337 results
  13. eBay Netherlands (non English so translated)
    1. Antique Automata: 10 results
    2. Vintage Automata: 6 results
  14.  eBay Philippines
    1. Antique Automata: 2 results
    2. Vintage Automata: 1,302 results
  15. eBay Poland (non English so translated)
    1. Antique Automata: 10 results
    2. Vintage Automata: 7 results
  16. eBay Singapore
    1. Antique Automata: 9 results
    2. Vintage Automata: 2 results
  17. eBay Spain (non English so translated)
    1. Antique Automata: 3 results
    2. Vintage Automata: 2,736 results
  18. eBay Switzerland (non English so translated)
    1. Antique Automata: 10 results
    2. Vintage Automata: 6 results
  19. eBay Taiwan (non English so translated)
    1. Antique Automata: 0 results
    2. Vintage Automata: 0 results
      Note: I don't think can handle English queries.
  20. eBay Thailand (non English so translated)
    1. Antique Automata: 0 results
    2. Vintage Automata: 0 results
      Note: not sure what happened here.
  21. eBay UK
    1. Antique Automata: 221 results
    2. Vintage Automata: 90 results
What have I learned from all of this?  In my case I'll do .com and then .uk.  This was an interesting exercise that I'm glad that I did.
-Jim Coffee-
San Diego, USA

On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 at 05:31, Automata Magazine <automatamag@...> wrote:
Have you tried searching the British eBay? https://www.ebay.co.uk/ Sometimes there is different (better) stuff there, I've heard.

V Bass

Jim, you can both broaden your searches as well as filter out stuff you don't want to see by using some of the advanced search features. Include more than one keyword, separated by commas but no spaces, in parentheses to get multiple searches:

(vintage,antique) (automata,automaton)

The search above gives anything that has either vintage OR antique, and automata OR automaton. If you get a bunch of birdcages or clowns and you want to eliminate them from the results, put a minus sign "-" in front of the parentheses:

(vintage,antique) (automata,automaton) -(bird,birdcage,clown)

The left sidebar shows the categories in which the search results are found. If you click on the probably relevant ones (e.g. "antiques", "toys", etc) you'll see only the items that were listed in those categories, which often eliminates a bunch of false hits.

Finally, you can tick a pushbutton in the left sidebar to look for items only in a specified geography. In the case of any of the European countries, you can click the "Europa" button and you'll see everything from UK (at least for the next few months) to Poland, without having to repeat the exercise on multiple websites.

There's a fellow in Missouri who's selling "erotic pocketwatches" with naughty paintings on the faces and a little red dangly thing attached to the escapement wheel. Things you never knew existed, but never really needed to know about either. That one showed up on the Australian site, to worldwide search may actually be the default.

Have fun!
Vance

Hi Vance...
Thanks for taking the time to make such a detailed and valuable reply.  I was not aware that I had a 'worldwide' choice.  I've been playing with queries (and still am) and am getting successful searches, worldwide.  My biggest problem was the proliferation of 'Nier Automata'.  I now know how to filter those out.  Thanks again for your help.
San Diego