Topics

Papier Mache and Paper Clay for Figures

Mike

Have any of you ever tried using paper machine or paper clay for your automata figures?
I recently acquired a book called "Dollmaking With Papier Mache and Paper Clay : Complete instructions and patterns for making more than 20 figures" by Doris Rockwell Gottilly
The examples in the book look like porcelain and with practice I hope to be able to achieve similar results. I believe these figures represent the appearance of much older automata and may be much easier to create than wood carvings.
Another benefit is that these figures are basically hollow, which will allow space for all kinds of mechanics.

Please share your thoughts on this subject.

Geppetto must be in my family tree, as I too like to bring wood to life.
My Website

Hi Mike...
I've never used paper mache (or paper clay) for figures.  It sounds very interesting.  Keep us posted with your progress in this area.  At least I am interested...and I suspect many others are also.
Thanks