Topics

Ongoing Projects

BANOFALK

Hello All
Following on from Jim’s email, I am working on a couple of ideas (now that I have finished most of my decorating tasks!). The first one is a version of an antique automaton I saw a couple of years ago in the V and A Museum of Childhood in London called the Fulling Mill (see photo). I have built up a computer model which looks good and should work OK. The second one is to try and figure how to make a version of a tin toy magician I came across on the web. I have only a still photo but I would think that when the dome is lowered the round plate that the chicken sits on rotates 180 degrees. How to do that is the challenge!
Regards to All
Barry

Good morning Barry...
Thanks for posting.
A couple of comments/questions:
  • What 3d software do you use?  Do you feed any machines with it (CNC for example)?
  • The automata you are modeling is unpainted.  Your computer model is colored.  Do you develop your paint scheme on the computer model?
  • Regarding the tin magician...I had Google do an image search (with the image that you provided) and up came one for sale in England (I think it was).  Three images there...but no description of what the magician does.  I would have thought that he makes the chicken disappear. But perhaps it rotates as you say. Share with us how you do it after you figure it out.  It would be interesting to know.
Thanks again for your comments.

San Diego, California

On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 at 03:49, BANOFALK <banofalk@...> wrote:
Hello All
Following on from Jim’s email, I am working on a couple of ideas (now that I have finished most of my decorating tasks!). The first one is a version of an antique automaton I saw a couple of years ago in the V and A Museum of Childhood in London called the Fulling Mill (see photo). I have built up a computer model which looks good and should work OK. The second one is to try and figure how to make a version of a tin toy magician I came across on the web. I have only a still photo but I would think that when the dome is lowered the round plate that the chicken sits on rotates 180 degrees. How to do that is the challenge!
Regards to All
Barry

BANOFALK

Hello Jim and ALL

I use AutoCAD (a programme I have used for over 30 years for architectural drawings). I develop the plans in 2D then again as 3D models. I have written some software which allows me to run through a series of images to give the appearance of movement (to see an example look at BANOLISP THEO JANSON on YouTube). This allows me to study the movement of the automaton through a full cycle – in 2D and 3D. Then I print off construction drawings.

The colours of the 3D model are for clarity only. I will probably leave all the materials in their natural finish + polish and will paint the figure (colours to be decided).

I have got a few ideas for the Tin Magician and will forward some ideas in the future. I came across a similar theme whirligig – see

https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=magician+wirligig#id=3&vid=363449b7ca60e8ab21f31552104423a6&action=click

Regards

Barry

V Bass

Barry, the big failing I see in the whirligig video is that the slot where the rabbit appears would be invisible from below (where you would probably be viewing a whirligig), but quite visible in an automaton when viewed from above.

The two methods that spring to my mind for producing a rabbit would be a rotating disk that flips over on a shaft (probably with a rachet to get sudden intermittent action), or two disks, one with rabbit and one without, that would be swung up or down in opposing arcs into position.

Yet another possibility would be magnets that alternately pull the rabbit up into the cover/hat, or down onto the table surface. Or maybe you could move the table surface into the hat with magnets, uncovering the slot where the rabbit can rise up.

Lots of possibilities here. But if it was easy, it wouldn't have the mystery you're after.

Vance

V Bass

I think you can see how will the slide arrangement works or doesn't in the video of this Timberkit.

https://www.timberkits.com/shop/view/10-Advanced/13-Magician-Kit

Vance