Topics

My first Automata

Lee

I would like to share my first original Automata... it's turned out pretty much as I planned, although it expanded in the building to include an extra figure. I say 'turned out' - it's probably not finished yet. As you can see in the video there are occasional pinch points that I would like to iron out. Probably it sits on the shelf now for some time while I contemplate a different model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8ZHibz8AHU

I have built a couple of TimberKits before, and you can see some larger Halloween creations on my YouTube channel but there were many first here for me. First time to carve figures, to cut gears, to paint (much more practice needed here...). I have learnt a lot, principally not to have too fixed an idea of the functional design. Initially the man was to have a push rod from below, but this did not work out so I found another way. The kid was not even in the design until fairly late and meant I had to relocate a number of elements.

There are still problems with this model. I have figured the pinch points come from the need to weigh down the cam followers which creates undue resistance on the steeper bits of the cam. You can see this at 1:10 on the video. Maybe making a larger cam with the same throw would ease it, although relocating the figure and changing the mechanism would be best. Who knows I might start over and do it all differently, but I have other designs I want to play with first.

I was not particularly happy with the painting, but on reflection it gives it an 'Enid Blyton' feel that is not out of keeping with the subject matter. I could have called it "Five go camping and loose three"

Lee

trevor.pull@...

Hi Lee

I just wanted to congratulate you on 'praying to the fire gods'.  I think you've got quite a bit going on and the kid really adds to the purpose of the effort in getting the fire going.

I'm a lurker on this forum at the moment. I've got ideas to develop but not quite got the time yet so I follow this forum and the magazine to get inspiration and to hold on to the future plans. This has helped me a lot in that respect, thank you.

Trevor

Lee...
It seems to be our (automatists) nature to see the bad in our creations.  I've watched your video several times and must say that my overwhelming feeling is "delight".  I really like the piece.  Yes, as you say it is not perfect.  But it's not perfect only if that is what you see.  I see so much more.
  • Starting with the concept...who would think to make a "Praying to the Fire Gods" automata?  Why?  That alone is intriguing.
  • Looking quickly and from a distance, at first, it seems like the boy is peeing in the fire, which I find funny.  Later I see it is a marshmallow...which is also good.
  • The rising flames in the fire are wonderful!
  • The actions of the praying figure are very good.  Not just a simple bow...much more complex.  And three times!  It's great.
  • I would love to see your drive mechanism in more detail...just because I like drive mechanisms.  For a first-time gear cutter, it seems that you've done a great job.
Every time we build automata the process gets better, doesn't it?  If you were to start from scratch with this one the second time through would be better.  And if there is a third it would be better still.  As we work and stretch our wings our tools tend to disappear a bit as our minds more fully connect with what we are creating.
Thanks for sharing this video.  Your automata is excellent.  Good job.
Creating automata near San Diego, California

On Sat, 14 Nov 2020 at 03:35, Lee via groups.io <Helloleeturner=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Ron K

IMHO any attempt is impressive. I think it looks great! And perfect is always the enemy of acceptable.

Ron

Mario Núñez

Nice work!

Mario

Jim Larson

Hi Lee!

I'm a lot like Trevor - I tend to lurk, wish I had more time and talent, but get a lot of inspiration from the amazing work of others like yourself. Thanks for sharing.

Wanting to help if I could, I spent a bit of time watching the video and came to two conclusions:

First, I agree with Jim and others that your creation is delightful just as it is!

Second, if you really feel the need to smooth out the action then your analysis seems to be correct. Either the cam profile (as seen at 1:09 - 1:10) needs to be modified to avoid "dropping" the follower, or the follower needs to follow more closely. Maybe smaller or more spring pressure? But this detail would be just for you - I think the viewer will be very entertained and pleased if you just leave it alone.

HTH.

             -jim

On 11/14/2020 3:35 AM, Lee via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Attachments:

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You automatically follow any topics you start or reply to.

View/Reply Online (#637) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [jlarson@...]

_._,__,_

Lee

Thank you for the comments. Good to get the feedback.
Jim - I will do something on the drive mechanism. Just got tied up with .. you guessed it.. the next one :-)

Myron Tupa

Hi Lee,  I am so impressed with the complexity of this, your first original automaton!  I like the narrative and the flexibility of your thinking.  The child add on, roasting a marshmallow, creates a stark and humorous view of how each figure relates to fire.  When I played the video I heard a squeaking sound, like a chirping bird.  Was that the mechanism or the location you were shooting the video?
Thank you for sharing your work.
Myron