Topics

Keith Newstead

BANOFALK

The passing of Keith Newstead is a great loss to the word of automata. He had a great imagination and was very skilful. He started from very humble beginnings. I have attached a photo of one of his early creations… Doyouthinkhesawus. He was generous enough to share some of his designs on the Instructables web site (see Steam Punk Singing Bird, Eden Project Collection Box and New York Construction Worker).

A few years ago, I asked him for permission to make a copy of his Great Fish Tank in the Sky and he was very supportive. He said when he was a child he was sad when his pet fish died – his mother said it had gone to the “Great fish tank in the sky”.

I don’t think we will ever see another like him.

Barry