Topics

Hello everyone!

Sharon Fraser

Hello,

I just want to introduce myself and say how much I am enjoying the magazine and now this group.

I  fascinated with automata  and paper toys for as long as I can remember.  I have never actually designed, that's beyond my capabilities, but I have attempted several paper models and wooden kits. The vintage
sand automation toys published by Imagerie d'Epinal are especially intriguing  to me and I have collected and a few of those as well.

I was delighted  to find Keith Newstead's "Topoo's Tiger" in the May/June issue of Automata Magazine. I spent happy several hours assembling it. Unfortunately I can't seem to get it working smoothly.
If anyone else in the group has assembled it I would appreciate some coaching in how to troubleshoot.

Looking forward to learning more about artists ant techniques!

Warm regards,
Sharon

Greetings Sharon...
Thanks for the introduction and welcome to the forum!
Your mention of sand automata caused me to Google...brought grins to my face. What a great idea.  Makes me wonder if I could/should use sand in one of my creations someday.
I hope that someone here can answer your Topoo's Tiger questions.  Binding automata can be frustrating.

On Wed, 25 Sep 2019 at 16:56, <sharon.fraser@...> wrote:
[...]

Hugo

Hello, I’m Hugo. I too am enjoying the magazine and would like to say hello to everyone.
I really enjoyed putting topoo’s tiger together but my model didn’t survive my toddler. Could you please tell us your tigers symptoms? What card stock did you use,  I use 210gsm card, as it’s the most my printer will cope with.
Hoping to be helpful, Hugo.

Sharon Fraser

I thought I had replied Hugo, but I don't see my post. Apologies to the group if this appears twice!

I printed the model on Staples Ultra Premium photo paper which is 230gsm. The cams were all double thickness. It works smoothly until it approaches the tallest point on the front blue cam. Then it binds and gets totally stuck.
I can continue to turn the crank if I simultaneously list the top blue bar. I have attached pictures showing where it gets stuck and when it is at the top of the tallest point on the blue cam, I;m wondering if I should cut he blue cam down a little.

Hugo

You made a much better job of yours than I did mine. I didn’t double up the card for my cams and the blue one curled a little but that meant that it wasn’t quite as steep. (Some of the other struts and things were a bit wobbly too, I must get a better printer.)
You could try reducing the friction of the cam follower before cutting anything off. Maybe add a piece of plastic drinking bottle or straw around the follower?

Mike

Thanks for sharing the information about "sand automation" it is the first I have heard of it as well, it's quite an ingenious idea!