Topics

sticky Favorite Suppliers

Mike

While reading through posts it's always exciting to find new sources of suppliers which can be used for automata.

However, as the number of posts grow it will become more difficult to find the thread which contains the supplier you remembered reading about. (I typically visit these sites right away and then bookmark them.) It would be efficient to have a single thread listing the suppliers we use along with a brief description of what the company offers.

Here are some that I have seen been posted in various posts (Bolded company names are linked to the company's website.):
Proxxon - High quality power tools for model builders, precision mechanics, mould makers, tool makers, opticians, goldsmiths, watch-makers and more, giving users high-performance power-tools in a size never offered before.

Woodworks LTD - The largest selection of quality craft, hobby, and woodworking supplies, including wood parts, wood craft supplies, wood turnings, wood stampings, hardware, wire or jute, wood fruit and animals to balls, beads, shaker pegs, dowels, dowel caps, stair plugs, doll making supplies, pens, door hangers, toy wheels, and small furniture parts, all at wholesale prices.

McMaster-Carr - Supplier of hardware, tools, raw materials, and maintenance equipment and supplies. McMaster maintains a wide variety of mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and utility hardware not usually located from a single source.

If you have favorite suppliers please add them to this thread.

Good morning Automatists...
Following along with this thread that Mike has started...here is a link to my Favored Suppliers page on my website.  Last night I added my work apron vendor...it's at the bottom of the list.
I'm looking forward to seeing the suppliers that many of you use.  Sometimes there is a bit of magic in being able to source just the right thing.

On Tue, 1 Oct 2019 at 06:31, Mike <smc5910@...> wrote:

[...]

If your looking for acrylic rods, spheres, hinges, display stands, mold supplies, etc. I would recommend Tap Plastics.
Geppetto must be in my family tree, as I also like to bring wood to life.
My Website

Mike

I found another outstanding resource today. Cranky Crab Workshop - Wooden Widgets and and Machined Mechanisms. they do custom orders as well. So if you need help with wooden gears check them out on Etsy. Their customer service is exceptional and they are a pleasure to work with.
--
Tag, your it!
Mike

My Website

Hi Mike...
This guy makes some fun stuff, doesn't he.

On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 at 16:59, Mike <smc5910@...> wrote:
I found another outstanding resource today. Cranky Crab Workshop - Wooden Widgets and and Machined Mechanisms. they do custom orders as well. So if you need help with wooden gears check them out on Etsy. Their customer service is exceptional and they are a pleasure to work with.
--
Tag, your it!
Mike

My Website

Gus

Mike,
That is just amazing ! At the prices and availability of gears, why would anyone in the US make their own  :-))

Since my CNC is down, I purchased three sets of gears from cranky crab workshop, it was a great experience, even the packing filled me with joy.
--
Looking forward to hearing about your automata adventures!

Mike

Wooden Curiosities

Nice to hear about Cranky Crab.  I look forward to ordering from him one day.  He has some very interesting stuff.
-Jim-

On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 at 17:44, Mike <smc5910@...> wrote:
Since my CNC is down, I purchased three sets of gears from cranky crab workshop, it was a great experience, even the packing filled me with joy.
--
Looking forward to hearing about your automata adventures!

Mike

Wooden Curiosities

Mario Núñez

I ordered some gears from Cranky Crab for my current project and was impressed by the quality, fast delivery and even the personal note that was tucked into the package asking me to keep in touch and send a picture of the project that's going to use their gears.

Mario