Topics

Cranky Lubrication

Hi all...
A question for those of you using Cranky Crab wood gears.  What are you using to lubricate?
And a side thought...what wood species do you prefer?
Thanks
-Jim Coffee-
enjoying the 'sport' of automata near San Diego, California

Mike

I've won't the gears to run smoothly without lubrication, but use bee's wax wood conditioner or wood butter (Which can also be used on wooden bowls and spoons).

I have ordered several different types of gears from Cranky Crab, made of different materials and have liked them all. If I had to pick one wood species it would be Walnut, simply because I like the way it looks.
--
Looking forward to hearing about your automata adventures!

Mike

Wooden Curiosities

Mario Núñez

When needed, which hasn't been often, I use SlipIt and it works well.  I agree with Mike about the look of the walnut gears.

Mario

Hi Mario...
Well that is certainly a bit of useful advice.  I've never heard of Slipit.  Looked it up just now and can see that I should have some.  What is your preferred product.  The woodworkers sliding compound looks interesting.
Thanks for the tip.
-Jim-

On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 at 07:46, Mario Núñez via Groups.Io <nunezm=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
When needed, which hasn't been often, I use SlipIt and it works well.  I agree with Mike about the look of the walnut gears.

Mario

Mario Núñez

Jim,

I use the sliding compound, which was originally formulated for cabinet drawers.  It has the consistency (as I read in one review) of snot, or if you want to keep things more polite, of warm butter.  I've used it on a couple of cams and found that it disappears into the wood as far as looks but keeps the lubricating qualities.  Not cheap, but good.

Mario