Topics

AutomataCon

Mike

Have any of you been to AutomataCon? If so, could you please share your thoughts and experiences on the conference. I didn't know such a conference existed until I read about it in Automata Magazine, the article was sure interesting. I am considering attending the 2020 AutomataCon.

I would like to expand this question a bit to include has anyone been to the Morris Museum?  Sounds like an interesting place.
Thanks
-Jim-

On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 at 05:33, Mike <smc5910@...> wrote:
Have any of you been to AutomataCon? If so, could you please share your thoughts and experiences on the conference. I didn't know such a conference existed until I read about it in Automata Magazine, the article was sure interesting. I am considering attending the 2020 AutomataCon.

veeracer@...

I have been there many times, they have a great full time display of Murtogh D. Guinness automata and Music machines as well as many other local history.
Their temporary exhibits include "A Cache of Kinetic Art" which includes many great automata and is a several year project.
I've been meaning to get to the Automatacon but time always seems to get away from me, maybe this time.
They have just become affiliated with the Smithsonian as well.

Gus

Mike,
I am hoping to get on a plane next year to se this, and the Morris and Boyer museums. Are there any other museums/exhibitions worth a visit ? I would very much like to see any works by that amazing artist Thomas Kuntz, so far cannot find anything about this. Plenty on his work, but nothing about exhibits. Would appreciate any suggestions, it is a long way to the US, must see as much as possible whilst there, apart from immersing myself in BBQ......

Regards,
Gus

Automata Magazine

Gus, you should contact the Boyer Museum well in advance to make sure they will be open when you want to visit. It is a family-run affair and they have odd hours, if memory serves. However, they opened specially for us when we visited a couple of years ago. Very nice people.

Gus

Thanks very much !

Mike

Hi Gus, I am unfamiliar with that part of the United States, so I am not sure what else may be in the immediate area. Do you plan to travel across the United States or stay in a particular area?
I was unfamiliar with Thomas Kuntz and looked him up on the Internet, His automata work is amazing. I agree his work should be on display, but I was unable to find such a location.

Gus

Hi Mike,
I am thinking that once I have found museums/exhibitions to see, then plan how to do it. Not ruling out travelling anywhere in the US, roads are great, trains and planes also ! There are also great tool/equipment shops to visit. Thanks very much for doing some research ! I haven't given up on Thomas Kuntz yet...
Regards,
Gus

veeracer@...

Tickets have just gone on sale.  https://www.automatacon.org/