Topics

Automata mechanisms

BANOFALK

Hello All

A great part of my enjoyment of Automata is figuring out how the more complicated ones work and how you could make them. For example, I recently I came across a fascinating automaton “Drake Automata Meister Duck” by a Japanese firm called Drake Automata (see http://www.drake-d.jp/e_automa.html). To me, it’s like a puzzle. How does the bread tray rotate? I have to work out how it could be done. I think I have come up with a workable solution which may prove useful in the future. I have no intention of making one of these (actually, they are very reasonably priced!) but I do enjoy the challenge!

Barry

Hi Barry...
Good comments.  And thanks for the link...interesting stuff.  It's interesting how small our world is getting.  I first pulled this up on my smart phone...it came up in Japanese...and then was translated pretty well.  I was unable to view the videos however found the baker on YouTube...so at least that one can be watched there.
These look well constructed...nice finishes, etc.  And the baker is an interesting movement.  Yes, wondering how the bread is switched out is a good exercise.  Notice how when cranking he almost stops...as if nursing along the transfer.
Anyway...thanks for starting this thread and for your comments.

On Wed, 4 Sep 2019 at 04:25, BANOFALK <banofalk@...> wrote:

Hello All

A great part of my enjoyment of Automata is figuring out how the more complicated ones work and how you could make them. For example, I recently I came across a fascinating automaton “Drake Automata Meister Duck” by a Japanese firm called Drake Automata (see http://www.drake-d.jp/e_automa.html). To me, it’s like a puzzle. How does the bread tray rotate? I have to work out how it could be done. I think I have come up with a workable solution which may prove useful in the future. I have no intention of making one of these (actually, they are very reasonably priced!) but I do enjoy the challenge!

Barry

Gus

Hi Barry,

Looking at the paddle, there seems to be a section, visible joint lines, which suggests that it rotates towards/away from the baker when fully pushed home. The other side would have the “cooked” loaf on it. The method of rotation
would be the fun bit !

Gus