Topics

Automata Magazine Issue 1/6-Nov/Dec 2019

A great issue!  Thanks Marc.
Your Editorial comments sound very positive...I'm so glad.  Your magazine certainly fills one of the voids in my life...I'm glad that you publish it.  
I've not finished reading it yet...I kind of got hung up on the Czech Republic Nativity Scene and it's related videos.
Wow...what a masterpiece (an understatement).  40 years.  Over 2000 parts. First class carving. No paint.  26' long.  Over 100 years old.  The 20 minute video shows the restoration process.  Masterful.
And there are 50+ additional pages in this issue.
Well done.
--
-Jim Coffee-
creating automata near San Diego, California
one of the group moderators
JamesCoffee.com

Mike

Each new issue of Automata Magazine rekindles the special type of joy I felt on Christmas mornings as a wee little lad. The beautiful magazine covers are akin to wrapping paper that artfully conceal the curiosities inside. Every article is another gift to be anticipated and then treasured once opened. A heart-felt thank you and a warm cup of spiced eggnog goes out to all those who help create these masterpieces.
--
Bringing wood to life.

Automata Magazine

Hi Mike. Thanks very much for your kinds words concerning the magazine. Doing this publication is a labor of love and it's gratifying that it has been so well received, both by authors and readers. I very much appreciate your comments. Best wishes, Marc

Mario Núñez

Every time I read an issue of the magazine I think that one day I may get to the level of skill needed to do some of those projects.  Then I settle down and try to make something simple to get to that level.

Mario

veeracer@...

I'm with you Mario! Small projects to work on my skills, well they start out small anyway but always seem to grow in size and complexity.

I was slightly skeptical when the news of the magazine first came out, but I decided to try it and boy have I been overwhelmed by the quality and quantity of information.
Very happy I signed up for it and look forward to each and every copy.

Mario Núñez

After trying two versions of the worm and butterfly with definitely mixed results I'm moving on to my own version of the Alexander Calder style automaton I spotted in Rodney Peppé's book on Toys and Models.  Creative ideas don't come to me like I see in other people, but sometimes I can see something interesting and work out how to make it.

Mario

Mike

Mario, I have Rodney Peppé's book, "Automata and Mechanical Toys" which I find to be an excellent resource.
--
Bringing wood to life.
My Website

Mario Núñez

That book really is a treasure, along with Robert Race's Making Simple Automata.  Noth of them are less "Here's how..." and more about "Why don't you try..."

Mario Núñez

That of course should have been "Both of them..."