Topics

Art brut

One of the articles in the most recent Automata Magazine (March-April 2020) is titled La Vraie Vie (Real Life) by Dominique Corbin.  In that article she uses the term "Art Brut" and also gives a definition of Art Brut.
~~~~~~~~
*Art brut: According to the Tate Museum, “Art
brut is a French term that translates as ‘raw art,’ invented by the French artist Jean Dubuffet to describe art such as graffiti or naïve art which is made outside the academic tradition of fine art.”
~~~~~~~~
And then I found a further definition:
~~~~~~~
The term "Art Brut" (raw art) was invented by the French painter, sculptor and assemblage artist Jean Dubuffet (1901-1985) to describe works "created by people outside the professional art world... from their own depths and not from the stereotypes of Classical or fashionable art." (See the English expression Outsider ...
~~~~~~~~
This second definition is similar but adds the component of  "created by people outside of the professional art world from their own depths..."

I post this thread because the term "Art Brut" is fascinating to me and a term that I think does apply to creators of automata generally speaking.  Speaking for myself...I don't have formal art training...and I also don't consider a piece done (completed) until my heart is at peace with it.  I suspect that is true of many of us.  The term Art Brut is sort of comfortable to me.  I like it.

Cheers from San Diego
-Jim Coffee-