Topics

Airbrushing is not for me

I recently purchased a good quality airbrush and a compressor and all the fittings.  I proceed to frustrate myself beyond belief...and I packed the stuff away.
Do any of you airbrush?
My comfort level at this point is acrylics with a brush.

Automata Magazine

Is your airbrush double action or single action? A single-action airbrush (like a Paasche H) is much easier to use for painting a plain surface where nuance is not necessary, I’ve found. —Marc

On Jul 11, 2019, at 9:10 AM, Jim Coffee <jim@...> wrote:

I recently purchased a good quality airbrush and a compressor and all the fittings.  I proceed to frustrate myself beyond belief...and I packed the stuff away.
Do any of you airbrush?
My comfort level at this point is acrylics with a brush.

Hi Marc...
Thanks for the feedback. Dual action. My problem was clogs.
-Jim Coffee-
San Diego

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019, 08:36 Automata Magazine <automatamag@...> wrote:
Is your airbrush double action or single action? A single-action airbrush (like a Paasche H) is much easier to use for painting a plain surface where nuance is not necessary, I’ve found. —Marc

On Jul 11, 2019, at 9:10 AM, Jim Coffee <jim@...> wrote:

I recently purchased a good quality airbrush and a compressor and all the fittings.  I proceed to frustrate myself beyond belief...and I packed the stuff away.
Do any of you airbrush?
My comfort level at this point is acrylics with a brush.

V Bass

Clogs are worse with acrylics, in my experience. They dry too fast compared to oil-based paints. Also, are you using an airbrush-specific acrylic? The pigment grain size makes a difference, it seems.

Vance

Good morning...
So reading between the lines here it seems that you both airbrush (and I did not sense any frustration).  Vance...you have suggested something other than acrylic.  And no, I was thinning acrylic...not using airbrush designed paints.  I believe that I need to get some airbrush specific paint and try again.
As a side note...I just went to the Liquitex site and notice that they have rattle cans of acrylic...zillions of colors.

I have a Dick Blick in the area.  I'm going to stop in.  Thanks for your comments.  Very helpful.
San Diego