Topics

What's on my bench: Auger Lift Test Stand

Hi Myron...
To get images into this forum simply attach the images to the email, or put them in the body of the email (that's what I do).  The forum technology will automatically reduce the size of your image to the largest side 1,000 pixels...so you don't need to worry about resizing.

My definition "5-second story" is not my definition...it is something that I picked up out of one of the Automata Magazine articles recently.  Keeping in mind "5-second story" helps me personally remember what automata is all about.  However, I'm sure that there are many more definitions.  It would be interesting to hear what others who create automata are thinking as they create.

Looking forward to seeing pictures from you!

On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 at 19:29, Myron Tupa <myrontupa@...> wrote:
Hi Jim,
Your math is as good as your work :>)
Is attaching photos to the forum as easy as it is to attach them to an email?  Please advise.  Thanks.
I’ll take some shots tomorrow, Tuesday, and post them in the format you suggest.
I really love the problem solving aspect of making these pieces.
Thanks too for your definition of differentiating an automata from a machine.  Sometimes interchangeable & fuzzy!
Myron

On Nov 23, 2020, at 10:12 PM, Jim Coffee <jim@...> wrote:

Hi Myron...
So being 10 years late with "50/70" means you are 80?  Good for you for creating automata.
Regarding the test stand...it's just a machine.  An automata is art, a 5-second story.  My task now is to rebuild the machine such that it is artful and that it tells a story.
My studio is relatively organized/clean most of the time...if you don't count the hair my Golden Retriever leaving around.  I find it hard to work in a messy environment.  I also find it hard to work in a sterile environment.  It seems that the clutter must achieve some sort of balance.
Show us pictures of your 50/70.  Would love to see what's on your bench.

On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 at 13:58, Myron Tupa <myrontupa@...> wrote:
Jim, If THAT is just a text stand, I can't imagine what your "real" automaton will look like!  The origin of the auger is amusing and works perfectly with your design.  Even though I don't understand the nomenclature I can see there is a great mind working overtime to make amusing/fascinating automata!  Is your work space always that well organized?
I'm now headed down to my messy works spaces and hope to make some progress on my "50/70" automaton which is 10 years late celebrating one step son's birthday and mine!
Myron

Myron Tupa

[...]

Lee

Those pin wheels look great in action, you must be pleased with them. Looking forward to seeing the completed item.

Good morning...
I've been thinking about this post and considered titling it "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly".
In my mind I've got an automata created...however it includes techniques that I've not created before.  I've learned that in this kind of situation the best way for me to proceed is to build a test stand.  See how things work.  See where the limits and soft spots are.

The chain of motion is:
  • A 20 rpm gear motor.
  • A set of pinwheel gears.
  • An auger.
  • Two Marble Tip wheels.
This test stand has been created mostly from scrap bits and pieces and super glue.  I've not created a test stand for the biped and the elliptical machine that he will be peddling...I don't feel that I need one.

A couple of comments.
  • This thing looks ugly.  It is ugly.  It's about five days old, completed yesterday, and by tomorrow it will be in my scrap heap.
  • I've tried two different motors in it.  The 20 rpm motor gives the best results.  10 rpm was too slow.
  • The two pinwheel gears cause me joy.  They are wonderful.  They have a wide connection tolerance, are very quiet, and have been ultra-reliable from the beginning.  The body of the gears is 3d printed and the pins are stainless steel roll pins 1/8" X 1".
  • The auger has been loosely mounted.  I've not used bearings...just a rough sized bushing...so there is slop between the auger and the rail that the marbles lean on as they travel up.  This is a problem.  I've learned that I'll need to firm up the relationship between the auger and the side rail...else there are marble derailments as the descending marble bounces around.
  • Getting the marbles on and off the auger has not been as problematic as I thought it would be.
  • I've learned that I should tip this whole assembly a bit further towards horizontal...not much...just a bit.
  • The marble 'tip wheels' are the weak link on this test stand.  They exist for two reasons...to lower the marbles...and to slow them down.  They do lower the marbles...but the slowing down part is tough.  The swinging pendulums are my third solution and while I like the solution, especially the long one, I think I need to explore other ways of slowing the marbles down.
I'm glad that I created this test stand.  It's given me vital real-world working knowledge.  I've created a short video that shows most features of this test stand first in real-time and then in slow motion (4X slow).

PXL_20201123_152118491-1000.jpg
Why do I do these "What's On My Bench" posts?  I just like to share.  I'm a teacher at heart.  It's important to remember that what I show in these posts is simply "my way" of doing something.  Over the years I've learned that "my way" is usually a bit different than a "normal way".  So understand that I'm not trying to show you how to do something...just suggesting.  Just showing how I do it.  You will have your own way of doing it.  And hopefully, someone will get an urge to strike out and try to create their own automata...and that's wonderful.
I also think that the automata world could disappear and to me that would be sad...so I'm trying to do my part to help keep the wonderful world of automata alive and kicking.
Have a good week, everyone.
creating automata near San Diego, California.