Topics

What's on my bench: A completed Bottle Spinner

These past couple of weeks has gone by quickly.  Painting takes focus, and then there is the drying time, which is both important and frustrating.

After I reassembled, the drive mechanism proved unreliable.  The drive belt was storing energy and releasing it when one of the couplings passed around one of the pulleys.  I have replaced the drive belt with a plastic drive chain and all is well.  I’ve not used a plastic drive chain in this kind of situation but I think that it will be fine…the chain will be doing very little work…just a tiny amount.

As I’ve been creating this automata  I have on order a Prusa Mini 3D printer.  It will arrive here in the first couple of weeks of October.  So I’ve been looking at what I’m doing and what I need in anticipation of being able to create some of the components with the 3D printer.

I’ve concluded that I’ll be able to build to tighter tolerances with the 3D printer.  For example, the ratchet mechanism that I created from wood (in this automata) would be better 3D printed, I think.  It would be more uniform and more perfect.  Also, the pulleys will be able to be 3D printed, and the motor mounts, and etc.  I’m excited to get the printer.  The filaments that I’ll be working with initially will be PETG and PLA with carbon fiber.  There are many filaments available. It’s exciting and I’m looking forward to learning this new tool

Here are a couple of images:

This shows the three primary modules that make-up this automata.  The base, the drive frame, the electrics module.  Not shown is the biped (well, the rest of it).  Nor is the display platform in this picture.

IMG_20200907_113234-1000.jpg
Here is a close-up of the head.  His eye sockets have been filled with epoxy which gives a sort of gleam in the eye.
PXL_20200916_010451643-1000.jpg
And here is a close-up of the drive belt
PXL_20200916_010441314-1000.jpg
And here is the complete automata.
PXL_20200916_005902922-1000.jpg
In the next few weeks I'll be putting together the videos for these three product spinners, and the other marketing materials that I'll need.  And then I need to hit the road and get one or two rented for the Christmas season.  To me...that's the hard part.
Anyway...I'd love to see what's on your bench.
creating automata near San Diego, California.

Gus

Hi Jim,
Hard to imagine how it works,  the bottle spins, what purpose do the ratchets serve ? The video will clarify, I'm sure
Good luck with the marketing. hopefully leading to rentals.
Cheers,
Gus

Keep Safe

Good morning Gus...
Your timing is good.  I just uploaded the videos.
Regarding the ratchets specifically...you can see them in this video beginning at about 3:00 minutes.  If you watch long enough you will see the normal speed turn to slow motion (4X).  In slow motion it's easier to see the little ratchets working.  And in case it's not clear, there is chain attached to the levers that the biped is stepping on.  The upper end of the chains are attached to the ratchet body's (and cause the body to rotate, and thus the pawls engage and covert motion to rotary).
I hope all is well with you.