Topics

" A Moment by the Seaside"

Gus

A family is walking by a beach, when they spot a swimmer in difficulties in the water......
Completed after some 330 hours, it tells the story of  mobile phone compulsion now evident everywhere. The video will follow shortly.

Thanks for looking,

Regards,   be safe !

Gus

Hi Gus...
This looks like a beauty.  Thanks for sharing.  I'm looking forward to seeing the video.  I'm impressed that you are able to keep track of your hours.  I lose track of my hours.
It looks like you have incorporated an actual photo in the background?  Good idea.
The next one that you build consider some 'under construction' sharing.  Would love to see more of your work.  Great job.
Cheers from San Diego
-Jim Coffee-

On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 at 17:38, Gus <klekner@...> wrote:
A family is walking by a beach, when they spot a swimmer in difficulties in the water......
Completed after some 330 hours, it tells the story of  mobile phone compulsion now evident everywhere. The video will follow shortly.

Thanks for looking,

Regards,   be safe !

Hi Jim,
Thanks for your comment. Timekeeping is a relic left over from my previous life, cabinetmaking,  time was important for pricing. I have found that looking over the time sheets is a reminder, what not to do next time, what was done, and its outcome. Recording everything, including fails, of which, there are many, is very instructive, and takes little time to do.  I lose track of time too, this work started in Feb 2019, of which 336 hours is the actual "at the tools" time. I don't count the creative, thinking time, which is constant.

I painted the background. Came across an interesting method to add realistic water shine. Two part high gloss resin is applied thick, over the acrylic. Its surface tension creates an uneven film, which pools  splash like, as it dries. I confess to wanting a smooth, flaw free result, but the material decided otherwise. I often get lucky.....

The progress of the piece was to be a series of articles for the magazine, but didn't eventuate. There are many photos/videos  of the mechanics of this work, I can post some of those if it is of interest.
The next piece I have in mind is a head, which has operable eyes, eyebrows, eyelids, mouth, head tilting, turning. It could be, as that progresses, similar to all previous works, additions/subtractions may come into play. Unlike the previous works, it will not tell a story, just a learning exercise, so may not be interesting to  forum members.

I read of your entry into the world of carving, a courageous decision which has major effects on works. If I may pass on something learned during this build - carve a head separately to the body, attach nose and ears as blocks,  carve on face, attach head.

Regards,
Gus

Hi Gus...
Regarding your next piece...the Head.  I would be very interested in seeing images on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.  I would love to see how you automate all of those features.  I suspect others would like to see also.
Thanks for the tip on the head.  I'll be posting a bit later tonight an image of the finished automata.  I have not created the head from wood, but rather from Apoxy.  Apoxy is a two part sculpting medium.  You can work with it for about 2-4 hours...then it becomes firm and cured.
Thanks for participating in the forum.
Stay healthy
Cheers
-Jim Coffee