Topics

What's on my bench: Progress, and a mess

Gus

Jim,
Your work is high quality, precise, great attention to detail.

Regards,
Gus

Hi Guys...
They are not large...smaller than a pack of cigarettes.  That said...that can be huge...depending on where it is to be used.
I source from Amazon or eBay.  Search eBay for "mechanical counter".  Expect to pay between $5-10.  An important consideration when ordering is how many cycles you want to count.  A six digit counter will go to 999,999 and then start over.  I typically source 6 or 7 digit counters.
They operate with either a pull (or a push).  Not lots of effort is required.  There is a "click" noise, which can be a distraction.
I've attached 3 images.
  1. Close up
  2. Installed facing forward.
  3. Installed on the back.
As I mentioned earlier, I like to install counters because I get a sense of how well the machine is performing.  And I find it interesting knowing how many cycles the machine has operated.  And other people almost always make a (positive) counter comment.
LRM_20180626_102153-1000.jpg
_JCS5070-1000.jpg
IMG_20190821_070906-1000-2.jpg

On Sat, 21 Dec 2019 at 08:37, V Bass <vrbass@...> wrote:
That's a really interesting idea, Jim. Can you tell us more about them -- size, source, etc?

Vance

On December 21, 2019 8:40:28 AM MST, Jim Coffee <jim@...> wrote:
>Good morning Mike...
>I install mechanical counters into all of my automata.

Mike

Jim, That is a nice touch. I'd be interested to know where you source them and see an example of how you install them.
--
Ho Ho Ho

Mike

Wooden Curiosities

V Bass

On December 21, 2019 8:40:28 AM MST, Jim Coffee <@jwcoffee> wrote:
Good morning Mike...
I install mechanical counters into all of my automata.

Good morning Mike...
I install mechanical counters into all of my automata.  Some of the time they are hidden...but sometimes they are visible.  For example in the case of the Electric Chair the counter counts executions.  The other automata that I've got on my bench right now is an exercise machine.  I've got the counter facing the biped so that he can know how much exercise he has done.
I find the counters interesting...other people find them interesting...and they help me understand use and repair cycles.  Big Wheel Lift #1 (the one I take into public with me) has cycled more than 36,000 marbles at this point...and is seeming to be running strong.

On Sat, 21 Dec 2019 at 03:58, Mike <smc5910@...> wrote:
Jim, your making great progress, the addition really add to the scene. What is hanging on the wall in the prisoner's room?
I like seeing messy work spaces, it doesn't shock me at all, they seem more alive.

Wooden Curiosities

Mike

Jim, your making great progress, the addition really add to the scene. What is hanging on the wall in the prisoner's room?
I like seeing messy work spaces, it doesn't shock me at all, they seem more alive.

Wooden Curiosities

The top portion of the Electric Chair is completed in terms of all of the items that will move have been installed.  Still lots to do, of course, but at this time I have started working on the drive frame.  The big spoked wheels that you see are pulleys that will reduce handle crank speed (and motor speed) of 60 rpm down to 1 rpm.  I need both speeds (60 rpm and 1 rpm) in the drive frame.
Also pictured is a mess.  This is what my bench looks like just before I straighten things out.
Happy Holidays everyone.

IMG_20191220_170733-1000.jpg