Topics

Automata

strtoneill@...

Hi all struggling a little bit with a movement I want to achieve. Clockwise then anticlockwise through 90 degrees. Any help?

Paul E Giles Jr

Have you looked at a Scotch Yoke? They were once popular on washing machines and used for that back and forth motion. A quick internet search will get you a few .gifs plus some good pictures. All you will have to do is attach a lever to the yoke and you will have your motion.

Paul

--
Paul Giles

Gus

Hi there,
More detail please, what is being moved, what sort of movement, rotation, linear, how far, how fast, uniform speed ?
Can you elaborate ?

Gus

V Bass

^----   What Gus said. There are several mechanisms that will give a motion that generally matches your description, but may not do exactly what you want. What exactly do you need it to do?

Gus

Hi Stuart,

I don't yet have a clear picture of what you are trying to achieve. What stage is your automata, photos possible ? If not, sketches ? Is the upper arm fixed, the arm fully extended at the start, then raised to chest height by bending from the elbow ?

Regards,
Gus