Topics

50/70

Myron Tupa

The motivation for all my automata projects have been to celebrate an important occasion of a family member or friend.  I did not know I was making “automata” until recently!  They were toys with movement.  My background is in art and teaching art, printmaking, cartoon drawing and film animation.  Retired since 2001.

50/70 represents a celebration of my middle step son’s 50th birthday and my 70th which was 10 years ago.  One of several reasons 50/70 has taken so long to take its final form is because I had many ideas about how that event should be characterized.  The event was a “boy’s weekend” at my eldest stepson’s farm.  Lots of food, fishing, canoeing and music!

Please let me know when this arrives and if you can use/post it.
Many thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

Future advise appreciated.

Sincerely,
Myron

The beginning:

1. Sketches & laser cut figures.  Discarded.                                                             2.  Idea formalized and work begun in February 2020.  The guitars first.  I loved 
                                                                                                                                       making them!

3. After several attempts to make the faces by transferring photos to a. wood.      4.  Another shot.  The mouths are cut so they will move.  I had fun making the 
b. laser burning on wood, c. glueing photos to wood.  The latter worked best.            I had fun making the shoes.

5.  Back view waiting for the connecting rods to the arm & mouth movements.                
The sound system is activated by the lever which is triggered by a dowel set into
the large wheel.  The crank/power dowel has an 80 grit emery paper wrap and the 
wheel is coated with powdered emery dust.  The sound cycle will be about 10 
seconds.  Featured is our favorite party song, Bad To The Bone with Geo.             6.  Detail of sound system and drive.  The cam is designed similar to a car's
Thorogood.  You can record anything on these little inexpensive devices. $6.75.          camshaft.  There is a bit more throw for the arms and less for the mouths.
on Amazon.  Look for “recording device for stuffed animal ~ plush toys etc.                  I hope it works as well as my test stand did.

7.  Close up of David and amp.  The boy’s last name is Rockland so I made the
logo on the amp: FENDER ROCK ~ LAND.  Hands and arms are carved from 
Basswood.                                                                                                                 8. Test stand for arm and mouth movement rods.  

Good morning Myron...
Very pleasant to wake up and find this in my Inbox.
There is a lot going on here:
  • The reason for building this and other automata ( The motivation for all my automata projects have been to celebrate an important occasion of a family member or friend)
  • The wonderful details.  For example the clothes, the shoes, the guitars, the amp, the postures of the three of you.
You have a very nice start to this automata.
I don't want to hound you for details...it's Thanksgiving Day...but I would appreciate learning more about how you do the clothes.  One of these days.  Not today.
And your carving skills seem excellent.  The hands, for example, are good ones.  And the shoes look like they are hand cobbled miniatures!

I'm glad that you have joined this Automata Magazine forum and that you are willing to share what you are doing.  I hope that you will be a part of this forum for many years.

Thanks again.
Cheers
-Jim Coffee-

On Wed, 25 Nov 2020 at 20:31, Myron Tupa <myrontupa@...> wrote:

The motivation for all my automata projects have been to celebrate an important occasion of a family member or friend.  I did not know I was making “automata” until recently!  They were toys with movement.  My background is in art and teaching art, printmaking, cartoon drawing and film animation.  Retired since 2001.

50/70 represents a celebration of my middle step son’s 50th birthday and my 70th which was 10 years ago.  One of several reasons 50/70 has taken so long to take its final form is because I had many ideas about how that event should be characterized.  The event was a “boy’s weekend” at my eldest stepson’s farm.  Lots of food, fishing, canoeing and music!

Please let me know when this arrives and if you can use/post it.
Many thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

Future advise appreciated.

Sincerely,
Myron

The beginning:

1. Sketches & laser cut figures.  Discarded.                                                             2.  Idea formalized and work begun in February 2020.  The guitars first.  I loved 
                                                                                                                                       making them!

3. After several attempts to make the faces by transferring photos to a. wood.      4.  Another shot.  The mouths are cut so they will move.  I had fun making the 
b. laser burning on wood, c. glueing photos to wood.  The latter worked best.            I had fun making the shoes.

5.  Back view waiting for the connecting rods to the arm & mouth movements.                
The sound system is activated by the lever which is triggered by a dowel set into
the large wheel.  The crank/power dowel has an 80 grit emery paper wrap and the 
wheel is coated with powdered emery dust.  The sound cycle will be about 10 
seconds.  Featured is our favorite party song, Bad To The Bone with Geo.             6.  Detail of sound system and drive.  The cam is designed similar to a car's
Thorogood.  You can record anything on these little inexpensive devices. $6.75.          camshaft.  There is a bit more throw for the arms and less for the mouths.
on Amazon.  Look for “recording device for stuffed animal ~ plush toys etc.                  I hope it works as well as my test stand did.

7.  Close up of David and amp.  The boy’s last name is Rockland so I made the
logo on the amp: FENDER ROCK ~ LAND.  Hands and arms are carved from 
Basswood.                                                                                                                 8. Test stand for arm and mouth movement rods.