Re: WIP "The Politician" Eye Mechanism

Gus

And to you Jim,

Thank you for your comments and help with motor information and sources. Until now, all 15 automata built have been manual, driven by hand. I have found that they have an optimum crank speed, all different, even though governed by a  gear train. I expect that this will apply equally to motor driven mechanics. Having no experience with motors, and to avoid the purchase of a number of them, I am considering an external  speed control,  but not decided anything yet. With the exception of a gear motor being DC. In a similar vein, the cams would be much smaller blank than I am used to working with. All these aspects, and others, have to do with having to think of every single component of the total concept during the building, and is dictated by the absence of working drawings and specific planning.
Would you discuss your use of a fuse, what type, does it cut in on overload, and also if there a change in the load, ie a component disconnects ?

Not happy to read that the virus is spreading fast and furious in your country !

Regards,
Gus

Stay Safe

On 30 Jun 2020, at 12:35 pm, Jim Coffee <jim@...> wrote:

Greeting Gus...
Very ingenious and inventive.  I believe that I've been able to follow all of the motion paths and that I understand what you have created.  What a joy to see an automata like this under construction!  Your mechanism looks solid and functional.  Thanks very much for sharing this!  Please keep posting your progress.

Regarding variable speed motors...I have little experience.  A top-level question that I have is "why" do you want a variable speed motor?  In the end, do you want a single-speed motor and you are going to experiment with speeds until you are pleased?  Or something else?
If you are just going to experiment you could use something that you already have laying around like a variable speed electric drill. Or, a sewing machine motor and pedal.
In the end, I suspect that you will want a gear motor.  Gear motors come both constant speed or variable speed.
You will notice that the world of variable speed gear motors is smaller.
And something that surprised me...a sewing machine motor and foot pedal combination is relatively inexpensive

Thanks again for sharing
-Jim in San Diego-

On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 at 16:23, Gus <klekner@...> wrote:
The mechanism has two parts - a hinge section which is fixed to the hollowed out head, and the eyes which are part of a device to move them side to side and up/down. The eyes section connect to the hinge by a clamp, which allows adjustment to the eye sockets. The hinge has a return spring eliminating the need for hard wire controls, in favour of cable/cam.

The eye mechanism front view

Eye mechanism rear and cable connections

The assembly fitted to the head

The face, eyes fitted. I have made a video of the movements, but not able to post here.

Jim,
Thanks for your comments. I would want to use a speed controller for the motor. Have you used speed control, and if so, is there  power loss ?

Regards,
Gus

Keep safe

Attachments: