Re: WIP "The Politician"

Gus

Hi Jim,
Thanks for all that info. Have used DC motors, were they powerful, if so, guessing they can be speed controlled. What is a one way bearing ? Is it possible to label the photo you posted under Slip Ring ? I would like to know what the shown parts are .

Be Safe,
Gus

On 12 Jun 2020, at 12:51 am, Jim Coffee <jim@...> wrote:

Hi Gus...
I've successfully installed motor/hand-crank  combinations on several of my pieces and I'm always glad that I did.  I isolate the motor from the hand-crank using two one-way bearings.
This gives the option of hand cranking (which is really useful during the build!) and then operating under power when you simply want to stand back and let it go by itself.
I look forward to watching the progress of your politician.  Your work so far looks exquisite.

On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 at 00:46, Gus <klekner@...> wrote:
Hi Jim,
I think a hand crank involves the observer more than motorised, so it will be manual. Though, in this case, given the size of the whole, it might be beneficial to stand back. Thanks for the question, I will keep the perspective in mind.
Hard to know how long it will take, there is so much inventing to do. My guess would be months, probably six at best.

Be safe,
Gus

On 11 Jun 2020, at 12:43 am, Jim Coffee <jim@...> wrote:

Hi Gus...
Thanks for posting.  I got out my converting calculator and see that this figure will be 31" high.  Very impressive.
I like the way that you have carved the head...nice shape and proportions and detail.  Good job.
Please do keep posting your progress.  These builds are very interesting.
Hand crank or motor?  What is your rough estimate for completion (month, year)?

On Tue, 9 Jun 2020 at 21:16, Gus <klekner@...> wrote:
A politician is standing in front of the usual flag background, and an impressive foyer, behind an equally impressive lectern. He is delivering a message, as they tend to do. At the end, something happens, which I will keep secret until completion, no need to spoil a surprise.
The figure is 800mm tall, has eyes which turn side to side, up/down, the head turns, nods up, down, the arms move and he body turns from the waist and bows. All is dependant upon success of managing to achieve all of that.......
The first part is the carving of the head, from a 90x90 mm block of Huon Pine, an Australian semi softwood which holds small details very well. It was some 28 hours to completion.

The interior was carved out to make room for the eye mechanism, which is the next part to fabricate. That will be added to this post as the process continues.

Regards, keep safe !
Gus

Attachments: