Re: 3D printing...some random thoughts

Randy

Resin prints are good for high detail. I made a rack several years ago with very small teeth and it came out great. The cost, messiness, and environmental issues with the resin keep me from considering purchasing a printer. My local library has one if I should ever need to print something.

I airbrush with DecoArt Americana acrylic, commonly used by artists. I dilute it 50% to make it sprayable. I initially thought I would need to use a primer but the PLA print surface is abrasive enough to allow the paint to "grab" on. I usually apply two coats. The available PLA colors are limited so being able to paint over white PLA gives me unlimited flexibility on selecting colors. I apply a protective coat of Deft clear satin lacquer to seal the print.