Re: What's On My Bench - The Guards of Medusa

Randy

  1. Approx how large?
    It's around 8" wide and 6" tall. The maximum footprint that I can print using my 3D printer is about 8.5 x 8.5.
  2. What is it made of?
    Everything was printed using PLA (polylactic acid). It's the most common filament used with 3D printers. Around 20 parts were designed.
  3. How did you paint?
    I airbrushed acrylic paint on white PLA parts and then applied a protective coat of lacquer. I'm especially proud of the red tree. I found an image on the internet and used it to cut a stencil.
  4. Can you describe the electro-mechanical a bit?
    Servo motors rotate the two guards and the Medusa head is raised using a stepper motor. A microprocessor controls the sequence of motion.
  5. What does it sound like
    The servos are very quiet. The stepper has a slight hum similar to an oscillating fan. I have a PIR sensor which turns it off when no one is in the room.