What 3D software do you use?

A few years ago I was using SketchUp to do renderings for me.  I found it to be both easy and difficult.  And then one day I opened my eyes and realized that I had not used it for about a year.  I went back in...and when I went to upgrade I found it is now web based (not good...not bad...just different).
So, I've been thinking about what I really want to use 3D software for.  I can think of three reasons:
  1. To sketch random ideas and mechanisms.
  2. To perhaps feed a 3D printer one of these days.
  3. To watch things in motion.
I believe that SketchUp can do 1 & 2, but don't think it can do things in motion.

Any recommendations?  i'm 74, computer literate, and am looking for something that will be around for at least the next 20 years or so.
I want it to be my last 3D learning curve.

Thanks in advance.