Re: Cycle speed and realism

Gus

It depends on many factors, doesn't it ?
How good is the element being manipulated, eg a head turn mechanics high tolerance, or sloppy ? Does it jerk because the mechanics aren't well machined/sanded/lubricated ? Unless that is what is wanted of course. Irrespective whether a fast or slow turn is wanted, the execution is crucial, otherwise it fails. Are multiple movements taking place, each one a different speed, as one would expect, eg a waving arm can imply something simply by how fast or slow it moves, and the same figure turning from the waist in conjunction might execute that quite fast, presenting a complete emotion.
My approach is focused around the story I want to tell, without using words. I don't decide at the beginning how fast or slow it needs to be, that develops as the work progresses.  Often reworking cams, gears etc if it seems the story has no flow, fails to engage, or, as you put it, “Yawn”.
Good expression that !
The element of surprise is what I seek. Be that  fast or slow, matters not much to me.